Why Your Donation to Pediatric Cancer Research Matters
September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month, and we need your help to save more children. More funding means fewer children diagnosed with cancer. It means those who are diagnosed have access to safe treatments with less severe side effects. And it means pediatric cancer survivors can live long, healthy lives post-cancer. 100% of your donation to support pediatric cancer research through the V Foundation helps fund the best physicians and scientists in the country.
We Need More Funding
No child should hear the words, “You have cancer.” No kid should have to undergo extensive treatments, invasive surgeries or long hospital stays. Unfortunately, these are the facts:
- After accidents, cancer is the second leading cause of death in children 1 to 14.
- More than 15,000 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer each year in the U.S.
- Despite this number decreasing over the past 40 years, more than 2,000 children die from cancer every year.
- Only 4% of federal government cancer research funding goes to study pediatric cancer.
- Pediatric cancer can create lifelong consequences that stem from cancer treatment.
Your Dollars at Work
The good news is, through the Dick Vitale Fund for Pediatric Cancer, the V Foundation has awarded nearly $50 million to support pediatric cancer research. A few game-changers are listed below:
- Michael Deel is in search of new treatments for one of the most difficult to treat pediatric cancers.
- Miguel Rivera is looking to use genetics to open the door to more therapies for pediatric cancer.
- Kevin Krull wants to prevent and treat brain injury in long-term survivors of childhood leukemia.
- Andrei Thomas-Tikhonenko is working on a treatment for one of the most common pediatric cancers that would leave children with fewer immune issues post-cancer.
- Ani Deshpande is focused on a gentler treatment for pediatric leukemia with fewer side-effects.
These researchers, and many more, funded by the V Foundation, are giving hope to families who have heard the devastating words, “Your child has cancer.” Every dollar you donate supports innovation and research, allowing more kids to have a better childhood.
Now THAT is Victory Over Cancer®.