Who We Are
The V Foundation is dedicated to achieving Victory Over Cancer® through research. Jim Valvano, a NCAA Championship-winning college basketball coach and sports announcer, and ESPN founded the organization shortly before Jim’s death from cancer in 1993. We carry on Jim’s mission for Victory Over Cancer®. The V Foundation is dedicated to providing equal opportunities in our endeavors and in our workforce. We believe that being open and approachable is the foundation of diversity, which is why we prioritize direct communication and invest in resources to make sure that our team feels connected and like they can bring their full selves to work each day. All employees work cross-functionally and interact directly with everyone in the company, creating a tightknit, respectful and inclusive community.
What Motivates Us
Hope turns the dream of cures into the reality of cures. Jim Valvano summed it up best: “To go from where you are to where you want to be, you have to have a dream, a goal and you have to be willing to work for it.”
Day in and day out, we are laser-focused on defeating cancer. “Don’t give up . . . Don’t ever give up!”®
A great team is everything. Our team includes donors, collaborators, the Scientific Advisory Committee, our friends at ESPN, V funded scientists, our Board and our dedicated staff. There is strength in our numbers and too many of us to be defeated. In the words of Jim Valvano: “If you have a dream, and a goal and a vision, and throw in that concept of never stop loving and believing in each other, you can accomplish miracles.
People entrust us with funds and with hope. We never, ever will violate that trust. We are open and honest about our organization and the grants we award, and we are thoughtful about the use of donor dollars.
Our SWAC committee brings together education, wellness, fun and adventure to help us mentally and physically be our best each and every day.
We not only survive but thrive in a team-centric environment where we encourage learning and out of the box thinking to help us achieve our goals.
We are dog friendly and conveniently located near a variety of housing options, shopping and entertainment situated between Raleigh and Durham in charming Cary, NC.
Generous health and dental coverage, funded HSA accounts, retirement plan with company match and open PTO.
Every day we come to work with Jim Valvano’s inspiring words in mind: “Don’t give up . . . Don’t ever give up!”® It’s this attitude that gets us a little bit closer to achieving his dream of Victory Over Cancer® every day. That dream requires an extraordinary team. And an extraordinary team deserves an equally amazing environment. It’s why we’ve worked so hard to create a workplace that attracts and retains a diverse group of passionate, committed and talented individuals. We offer competitive salaries, an employee-friendly organization and a comprehensive benefits package. If you’d like to join our team and help achieve Victory Over Cancer®, we encourage you to apply. Current Openings at the V Foundation:Director of Business Development (CA)
This position offers a great opportunity for an aggressive business development professional to grow a portfolio of corporate partnerships at the V Foundation for Cancer Research, and effectively increase revenue and awareness for our organization to allow us to fund the best and brightest in the field of cancer research. The V Foundation’s partnership and business alliance goals are to expand beyond the existing relationships and leverage both the value and the audience of partnerships available throughout the year.
This position is located in San Francisco, and candidates should have a strong command of the regional and state corporate social responsibility landscape.
Those interested in applying are asked to remit a resume, cover letter and salary expectations through www.indeed.com by Friday, June 28, 2019.
New Business Development – Revenue Accountability
• Event sponsorship revenue generation and growth
• Market analysis
• National corporate partnerships and strategic alliances procurement
New Business Development – Pipeline and Prospecting Support
• Pipeline development and growth
• New program conceptualization
• Competitive analysis and industry mapping to identify and prioritize new prospects
• Agreement set up and compliance
• Communications/PR efforts
Signature Event Support/On-Site & Post Event Management
• On-site event assistance and sponsor support with seamless sponsor experience
• Pre and post event analysis and planning, reporting to board
• Auction package procurement assistance
Marketing, Sales Operations and New Business Development Support Responsibilities
• Sales material development
• Sales reporting, analysis and forecasting (Salesforce.com/Luminate CRM)
• Networking industry events
Education, Experience and Training:
• Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree (e.g. MBA) is preferred.
• At least 8-10 years of experience in partnership or cause marketing, in positions of progressive responsibility, preferably in a nonprofit or association environment.
• Must reside in the San Francisco/Bay Area or be willing to relocate for this position (The V Foundation will not pay for relocation costs).
• Must have experience in closing high value partnership or similar sales programs and success exceeding quotas exceeding $1 million annually.
• Experience cultivating and managing a sales pipeline within SalesForce/Luminate.
• Big picture strategist and outside of the box creativity. Demonstrated success in strategic planning, proposal development and in the identification, solicitation and closing of partnerships and business deals.
• Aptitude for developing strategic, proactive relationships with potential sponsors and corporate partners, and other supporters of the philanthropic community.
• Demonstrated knowledge of trends in corporate and foundation funding, corporate social responsibility (CSR), philanthropy, corporate giving, and good corporate citizenship, and the methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about cause-marketing programs of corporations and foundations.
• Superb networking, teamwork, negotiation, and interpersonal/diplomatic skills with ability to work effectively with all stakeholders to achieve a common goal.
• Experience in sports marketing partnerships preferred.
• Excellent communication and writing skills: ability to articulate the V Foundation’s mission, program objectives, exposure opportunities and/or resource needs persuasively to sponsors and corporate partners. High level of PowerPoint proficiency.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to learn customized software quickly.
• Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Relocation assistance and sponsorship are not offered for this role.
The V Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, nation origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internships at the V Foundation for Cancer Research provide opportunities to become familiar with, and actively contribute to, the inner workings of a cancer research nonprofit. They offer a challenging learning experience and promote awareness of nonprofit careers. Students gain valuable experience working at the V Foundation, and they may be able to earn educational credits for their work. We have placement opportunities in the following departments:COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
Interns with our Communications Department participate in ongoing initiatives and projects (summer projects include: printed newsletter, monthly eNews, Team V, etc.). Duties could include: planning, research, interview preparation, article writing, proofreading, email data analysis and assistance in Team V promotions. Interns also assist with social media planning and posting and attend meetings for planning communications strategies.Development Department
The Development Intern will work with the Development Department to assure the growth and enhancement of the organization’s fundraising efforts. They also help promote a donor-centered approach within the entire organization. The Development Intern will do this by focusing on assistance with analytics, communicating with donors and fundraising projects.FUNDRAISING & EVENTS DEPARTMENT
The Events Intern is responsible for implementing the community events strategy, maintaining current community programs and providing support to the event organizers. This intern will also work closely with the Director of Corporate and Market Development to execute a revamped workforce development program.
An internship is a wonderful way to explore the world of a philanthropic organization and to learn about the passion that goes into the work we do. Interested in what it’s like interning at the V Foundation? Read the following reflections from some of our previous interns.
Irem Unal, Development, Spring 2016
Interning with the V Foundation this semester has been an absolutely wonderful opportunity. Besides acquiring relevant experience in the non-profit world, my favorite part about my internship was being able to see the projects I worked on be put to use in the V Foundation’s real-world publications—there is no feeling more rewarding than knowing that the work you do as an intern is truly valued. I am so thankful not only to have been able to work in such a passionate and positive environment, but also to have made so many invaluable connections with all of the genuine and dedicated people here at the V Foundation.
Kelsey Erdossy, Social Media, Spring 2014
The passion and enthusiasm of the V Foundation team is infectious. It has been such a rewarding experience to work with a group who is so united around their cause and truly excited about the work they are doing. As an intern at the V Foundation, I have gained invaluable hands-on experience working on campaigns and with nationwide community groups that I wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere. I am thankful to have been involved in the work of an organization that does so much good.
Natalie Jones, Corporate & Market Development, Spring 2014
Being an intern for the V Foundation for Cancer Research has been such a rewarding experience. I’ve had the opportunity to work with the V Foundation’s endurance sports training program, where I was able to experience all aspects of event planning and fundraising. Knowing the work that I did has an impact on moving us forward into a cancer-free future is an amazing feeling!
Lauren Burton, Communications, Summer 2013 & Social Media, Fall 2013
My time at the V Foundation was truly irreplaceable. I consider myself so fortunate to have had the opportunity to gain invaluable experience in an environment surrounded by my greatest teachers and my biggest fans. How lucky to learn and grow with those who reflect the very values of the organization for which they work. I expected to walk away with new skills and experiences, but the V Foundation gave me something greater than the words on my resume. The V Foundation for Cancer Research gave me the inspiration and encouragement to reach higher, work harder and truly believe in the endless possibilities when you, “Don’t give up . . . Don’t ever give up!”®
Phoebe Kot, Community Events, Summer & Fall 2013
Interning at the V Foundation for Cancer Research was one of the best decisions I have made to prepare for a career in the athletic fundraising industries. The experience I acquired while serving as the Community Events Coordinator provided me the opportunity to improve my customer service skills, enhance my knowledge of the fundraising and event-planning process and collaborate with organizations on the corporate and national level. The internship was an exceptional experience because of the opportunities provided and the supportive atmosphere. I miss the staff immensely, but am happy we have kept in touch.
INTERNSHIP INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
Our interns work with us during Spring, Summer and Fall semesters. Like our full-time employees, they each have a passion for saving lives by achieving victory over cancer.
- V Foundation staff review application materials, and finalists are contacted for interviews.
- Final candidates will be contacted for interviews within approximately six weeks after deadline.
- Final decisions are typically made within 4-6 weeks after that.
- The number and frequency of internships available varies from department to department.
- A department may be unable to offer an internship for a particular semester, for varying reasons, even after an opening has been posted online. You will be notified if your chosen department is not able to offer an internship.
Interns must be available to work from 10 to 32 hours per week with flexible schedules. Refer to the individual department descriptions for hourly commitments.
To qualify for an internship, applicants must have completed four semesters of college with a 3.0 average on a 4.0 scale. Graduate students and recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.
Some colleges give credit for internships. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their schools to receive credit.
ALL INTERNSHIPS ARE UNPAID
Questions regarding the internship program should be directed by email to the Human Resources Department
Spring Semester – November 1 of prior year Summer Semester – April 1 of current year Fall Semester – July 1 of current year
APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP
Apply for any internship by sending all information to [email protected], and make sure to note the department(s) that you are applying to. Email MUST include each of the following:
- Cover letter of interest, addressed to the contact person (Janelle’s Note: We should include names and email address of contact person(s)), which must include:
- First and second choice of departments
- Statement of your interest in a particular department
- What you can contribute to the department
- What you hope to learn from your experience
- Whether you are willing to accept any placement that matches your skills should your departments of choice be unavailable
- Current resume (including all contact information—home address, email address and telephone number—and work experience)
- College transcript demonstrating academic performance, a minimum of 3.0 overall on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of reference, including at least one from a college professor
APPLICATION DEADLINES – MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
November 15 for Spring Semester April 1 for Summer Semester August 1 for Fall Semester IMPORTANT NOTE: If your application email is missing any piece of the above information, you will not be considered for that internship.