13th Annual V Week on ESPN Highlights V Foundation’s Goal to Achieve Victory Over Cancer®
The V Foundation for Cancer Research, a top-rated cancer research charity, announces details regarding the 13th annual V Week for Cancer Research, December 3-14, across ESPN platforms, with additional programming and highlights continuing throughout the month. V Week will encourage supporters to donate to the V Foundation through the theme “One.” We are one community with one mission – to defeat cancer.
“V Week leverages ESPN platforms and partners to drive awareness of the continued fight against cancer and generates donations to the V Foundation,” said Kevin Martinez, Vice President, ESPN Corporate Citizenship. “This year, we celebrate our dear friend and colleague, and the 2014 Jimmy V Perseverance Award winner, Stuart Scott, by honoring his courageous spirit to ‘Fight Like Hell.’ We’re honored to once again celebrate V Week and inspire fans to help support the V Foundation to one day eradicate cancer.”
V Week launches on Giving Tuesday, December 3, with a social media campaign to encourage donations to the V Foundation. On December 4, at 7:00 p.m., ESPN will dedicate all of its platforms to sharing inspirational messages from the late Jim Valvano and others, including Robin Roberts and the late Stuart Scott. Included in V Week is the 25th annual Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic. The men’s college basketball doubleheader returns to Madison Square Garden in New York City on December 10, and it will feature an opening game between Louisville and Texas Tech, followed by a primetime showdown between UConn and Indiana. UConn will host Notre Dame in the women’s event on December 8 in Storrs, Conn.
Throughout the extended week, the V Foundation welcomes new initiatives and fundraising opportunities, including:
- Kicks to Beat Cancer (December 2-12): Through their extensive network of athletes, coaches, on-air talent and superstars, ESPN has collected game-worn and brand new autographed shoes, to be auctioned on ebay.com/espn. Funds raised from the auction will benefit the V Foundation. Shoes up for bidding are from stars such as Magic Johnson, Victor Cruz, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Kim Kardashian West and Lindsey Vonn.
- Stuart Scott Day (December 4): In honor of famed ESPN television personality and 2014 Jimmy V Perseverance Award recipient Stuart Scott, who passed away in 2015 after a courageous battle with cancer, ESPN is dedicating December 4 as “Stuart Scott Day.” On that day, ESPN will showcase content, which depicts Scott’s love of life and perseverance through his fight with cancer and his consistent message to “never give up.” A special, limited-edition Stuart Scott t-shirt will go on sale starting December 4. In addition, UNC-Chapel Hill will host Ohio State in a basketball match-up, with special recognition for Scott, a UNC alumnus, happening during the game.
- UFC “Fight Like Hell” Night (December 7): UFC is dedicating its fight on December 7 to the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund, which supports groundbreaking minority cancer research. Scott had a strong connection to mixed martial arts and even trained during his treatments. “Fight Like Hell” Night will feature Stuart Scott-related content all throughout fight night and the UFC will be donating $25,000 to the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund.
- My Cause, My Cleats(December 8): Cam Erving and Sammy Watkins, from the Kansas City Chiefs, Marcus Williams of the New Orleans Saints and David Blough of the Detroit Lions will dedicate their cleats to the V Foundation to show their passion for cancer research. Erving, Watkins and Williams have had multiple family members affected by cancer. Blough was the starting quarterback at Purdue when Tyler Trent was a student, and his cleats will benefit the Tyler Trent Fund at the V Foundation. Each player will wear the cleats in his game. The cleats will be auctioned off following the game, with funds raised benefiting cancer research through the V Foundation.
- “Ring the Bell to Knock Out Cancer” Night – Top Rank, Inc. (December 14): Top Rank will raise awareness and funds for the V Foundation by dedicating December 14 as “Ring the Bell to Knock Out Cancer” night. Within boxing, “ringing of the bell” symbolizes the end of the fight, and for patients with cancer and their healthcare team, the “ringing of the bell” is a significant moment as well, signaling the end of active treatment and the beginning of a life free of cancer. The “ringing of the bell” will be a symbolic moment during the Top Rank fight, making fans aware of ESPN’s dedication to eradicating cancer. The fight will air on ESPN, December 14, at 9 p.m. ET. Top Rank is also making a $25,000 donation to the V Foundation.
- American Kennel Club (V Week): Veterinary medical centers are teaming up with leading cancer centers to help dogs and humans beat cancer. Beneficiaries of the canine comparative oncology research approach include human patients and canine patients, along with their owners. The V Foundation and American Kennel Club are launching a partnership this week to raise funds for, and awareness of, the excellent work being done in the field of canine comparative oncology and canine cancer. The American Kennel Club is making a $25,000 donation to support canine comparative oncology.
“V Week is an extraordinary time for the V Foundation,” said Susan Braun, Chief Executive Officer for the V Foundation. “ESPN pulls out all the stops to highlight the importance of cancer research and the work of the V Foundation. Cancer affects everyone, and through this team effort, we get closer every day to declaring Victory Over Cancer®!”
During the Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic doubleheader, ESPN will recognize select partners that have supported the V Foundation in 2019. Supporters include:
- Constellation Brands Beer Division has been a proud supporter of the V Foundation since 2010. In 2019, Corona and its Gold Network Distributor Partners’ national “Hoops for Hope” campaign raised critical funding to support the V Foundation.
- During the month of September, employees from Bristol-Myers Squibb embarked on an epic three-week journey, cycling across America to raise funds for the V Foundation.
- WWE and the V Foundation have partnered to raise funds for pediatric cancer patients through Connor’s Cure, a national Pediatric Cancer Month fundraising campaign. WWE’s integrated support includes fundraising and awareness-generating activities to support the V Foundation.
- Hooters supports the V Foundation through their “Give a Hoot” Each October, Hooters raises funds during Breast Cancer Awareness Month through multiple fundraising initiatives at locations throughout the U.S.
- The New York Road Runners is committed to changing the world for the better through running and fitness. Through the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon, the V Foundation’s team, Team V, raised essential dollars for the V Foundation.
The V Foundation has proudly awarded more than $250 million for cutting-edge cancer research. The V Foundation holds a 4-star (highest) rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest evaluator of charities, and is among the top 3% of all charities evaluated. The V Foundation is a GuideStar platinum-rated charity.
Featured January 28th, 2020
The V Foundation for Cancer Research to Launch ‘Raise Your Paw’ Campaign at AKC Meet the Breeds®Read More
Featured December 3rd, 2019
13th Annual V Week on ESPN Highlights V Foundation’s Goal to Achieve Victory Over Cancer®Read More
Featured July 8th, 2019
Dear VictoryWatch Video